Handmade Beaded Jewelry

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Fishy Quilt (working name)

Okay, I know, it's a stupid name. What can I say, I hate trying to name my work. I'm now incorporating my beading skills with my quilting skills. This piece is 12 x 12 and will be mounted onto a canvas.


First, let me say that what was in my head when I started isn't what I got. But I'm still very happy with the finish product. The blue background was hand-dyed by me last summer. I don't generally dye my own fabric, but I took a class and I had a ball. Still, it's not something I plan on getting into. No place in my house to do it anyway. The fish is all hand embroidered onto a backing that is similar to pellon/timtex. Right now I can't think of the name. Lacey something or other. I printed a photo onto it and then proceeded to stitch two beads at a time following the colors of the fish.  Nemo took 3 days and the other one took 4 days. If you look closely you will see that I machined stitched 2 jello fish. To do this I first traced them onto water soluble stablizer and then pinned it to the background and did a free motion stitch. I've added shells, starfish and a sand dollar. All real, along with pearls and assortment of seed beads.  The sea fan from the previous post will go on an 8 x10 quilt  and canvas.  I will also be adding assortment of shells and pearls.

2 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous, Maxine! Your beaded fish are amazing. Are you going to put that wonderful beaded coral in this piece?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norma, the sea fan will be on another canvas 8 x10 and then I want to make a third piece, I'm not sure what it will be yet.

      Delete