Handmade Beaded Jewelry

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Time flies when your having fun







I can't believe it's over a week since I'm back from my quilt retreat at Frost Valley. Frost Valley is a family camp that is run by the YMCA . It's located in the Catskill Mts. in NY. The funny part is that my kids went there on their school trips. This was my first time at any camp in my life. So you see, it's never to late...lol
There were 8 of us on this trip. And we each brought several projects to work on. I started a baby quilt for my Nephew who's wife is expecting in Sept. I have since finished the top except for the border.
I also brought a whole cloth quilt top to be basted. I had bought it several years ago and it has been sitting because I don't have a table big enough to do the basting. It's queen size. My friends
were really a big help in getting this done. It took longer than I thought it would. But then isn't that always the case. I couldn't wait to get home and start quilting. I forget to bring my hoop with me so I couldn't work on it up there. The bat that I'm using is silk. And it's absolutely fantastic. I'm hand quilting it, using Valdani 28wt. variegated thread for the floral design and YLI qulting thread in neutral for the background. I am so pleased. I think it's the best hand quilting I have done to date. I'm also kind of bummed because I won't be able to enter it in My quild's show next May, because it is a preprinted whole cloth and not my own design. Oh well. Maybe I will just put it in the non-judging part. I will have better picutures of it as I get more done.

Here are some more nature pictures. It's really beautiful up there in the mountains. And we were lucky to have wonderful weather. You really wanted to be out and about in the fresh air. I figured we all walked at least 3 miles a day just walking to a from the dinning hall. Not to mention the mile around the lake.
I'm going to try to keep my blog more up to date. Posting more often. Please feel free to make comments. I would love to hear from you. (If there is a you....lol) Hello out there........

2 comments:

  1. Hi Maxine,

    The Frost Valley photos look great and I'm looking forward to seeing your finished baby quilt. It is such a sweet design. Love your blog btw. (Yes you do have a 'readership'...lol).

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Maxine. Just took a closer look at the whole cloth quilting. It's really going to be a beauty. :-)

    ReplyDelete