Handmade Beaded Jewelry

Sunday, January 16, 2011

sending quilt to Italy

At this point I'm still trying to figure out which way to send my quilt to Verona.  USPS is $58.00 but The Italian mail service does not have a very good reputation when it comes to the delivery of overseas packages. Most people have suggested FEDEX. I went to the FEDEX store yesterday to get a quote. OMG I nearly choked when he said $200. . What! the hold thing is barely 2 lbs. Box and all . It has been suggested that I get account at FEDEX so that I can get a discount. I will have to wait until Tomorrow to do that. Even the online service is closed on the weekend. It would be interesting to see how much it would be then.  I was just on the UPS website and they quoted me at $156.20.....So that's where it stands at this moment....to be continued....... 

2 comments:

  1. That's quite a cost range. Hope you can find a satisfactory solution soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I've to admit that, despite the reputation on the italian postal service, I've never lost an international parcel. Instead I've lost some domestic shipments made without tracking number.
    Doesn't have the USPS a trackable shipment option? Something that allow you to track the parcel but saving compared to FEDEX? Usually if there is a tracking number the parcel is not lost/stolen/forgotten somewhere.

    In italy we have another option, I tell you, may be you have something similar:
    We have some small indipendent carriers that are not "big name" companies, but use "big name" companies. Since they ship hundreds of parcels with the "big company" they have preferential tariff, and can offer you the same service but cheaper than the postal service or "big names" carriers. And usually they're very reliable.

    I hope this helps, and I'm sorry about this trouble :(

    ReplyDelete